Friday, January 02, 2004

Would it be all right if I took a few minutes to enthuse publicly about Christine Andreas? I had the chance to catch her show "Bewitched Again" at the Prince Music Theater on New Years Eve, and both D'Arcy and I were so completely blown away that I can't stop talking about her. Where to begin enumerating her many virtues? First of all, she's the consummate SAVI singing actress, the embodiment of the ideals I teach in my performance classes. She understands that every phrase, every moment provides an opportunity to do something wonderful and specific and varied which illuminates the text and the dramatic event it portrays. Second, her musicianship is impeccable - every note in tune, every phrase conceived and executed with exquisitie musicality. Her voice is totally the servant of her ideas and her emotions, and seems to do everything, fluttery faux-operetta one minute, down 'n' dirty the next. Straight tone, vibrato, parlando - a veritable catalog of vocal behaviors, each one executed with panache. And her diction! (Mind you, I sat next to the Speech Diva at this event, and she was equally in thrall.) Andreas spoke admiringly of Sinatra's ability to "get so much lyric out of a lyric," and she says she's modeled her approach on his. Not only do you understand every word, but you GET every word - what it means, how it relates to every other word and to everything she's ever thought and felt. In SAVI talk I call it "traction," and Christine Andreas has got it in abundance. I must also give props to her music director, Lee Musiker, for brilliant arrangements and dazzling pianism, and the rest of her backup group for totally tasty playing throughout the night. It doesn't get any better than this, folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home