Saturday, December 18, 2004

A Week Before Christmas - Cafe Update

Writing today from an internet cafe in Old City, near the Arden Theater, where I'm doing double-headers of "A Year With Frog and Toad" on Thu, Fri, Sat and Sun this week. The show has settled into a comfortable routine that's on the threshhold of monotony, and so I try to keep my mind active with various diversions, including doing Finale input of "Made By Two" in the dressing room before and between acts of the show and dashing out for a hit of caffeine and HTML between shows.
There's been an unbelievable amount of activity in my life the past weeks, as the paucity of my blog entries will attest. With school wrapped up for the fall, I'm down to mere quadruple-tasking: preparing two shows which I'm directing at the beginning of the year ("Anyone Can Whistle" at the Prince, "Made By Two" for U Arts and the Cardiff Festival), packaging "Gemini The Musical" so it can be sent out to prospective producers, and doing eight to ten shows a week with my amphibian pals at the Arden. Readers of this blog are no doubt weary of the "too busy to blog" theme, and may even find themselves exhausted (as I am) by these breathless posts that barely manage to enumerate my activities before signing off. So where, you ask, is the BEEF? A question my family and friends must be asking too, since I feel like I'm a shadowy presence in the lives of the people I love the most when my days get like this.
So what's my excuse? Well, the buckram dollar, for one - it's a boon to be able to earn some bread in the professional theater; a lot of lean years to make up for, and opportunity is not a lengthy visitor. And every one of these projects has their charms. ACW is a musical I've dreamed of doing since my undergrad days, when I drove my roommates crazy playing the album on a daily basis, and actually began to produce a version of it with my pals in E-52 Theater, the student organization I was chairman of. Made By Two is beautiful, distinctive and challenging, and it's a pleasure to contemplate rescuing this unusual work from ill-deserved obscurity. Gemini The Musical was a terribly exciting experience, and one whose promise has yet to be entirely fulfilled, I think. And Frog and Toad has its artistic charms too. So I'm certainly not complaining, even though it may sound that way. But I understand if my pals find me a dull dog these days - all work and no play has that effect, I hear.
If I'm lucky, I'll get a quick nap before half hour for the 4 pm show. Such is the height of my ambitions at the moment - forty winks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home