Wednesday, August 13, 2003

The Village Voice: Film: Children's Crusades by Ed Park is the article that best captures my own ambivalent feelings about the new movie CAMP. I must admit, my hopes ran high during the opening sequence, which is built around the song How Shall I See You Through My Tears, from Gospel at Colonus - great song, great vocals, a provocative montage. The first Jill and Fritzi scene ("We were in 'Night, Mother' together.") is a red flag that we're in for some arch writing and weak dramaturgy. The ride on the bus, with all the campers cheerfully singing "Losing My Mind," has a promising ironic quality. But then comes the arrival of Vlad in the dorm room, and again, the writing has a flat obviousness about it that disappoints. For me, the movie was a continuous push-pull like this - promising moments which piqued my interest, followed by scenes that had me squirming with impatience. The performances are great, though. It was especially fun to see Tiffany Taylor, who was a student in the U Arts Pre-College Program in Musical Theater last summer. She split midway through to go "be in a movie," she told us; guess she wasn't lying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home